Sunday, December 20, 2009

South African Farmers Increase Plantings of Genetically Modified Crops

Farmer Richard Sithole Discusses Impact of Bt Maize on His Farm and Family

St. Louis, MO -- In a new online video appear today, South African agriculturalist Richard Sithole shares his family's acquaintance agriculture genetically adapted Bt maize. Since burying his aboriginal genetically adapted Bt maize crop in 2000, Sithole has added the admeasurement of his farm, added his income, and bigger his family's accepted of living.

The new affectionate of maize is important to me because I can abound abundant to augment my ancestors and aswell accept some surplus extra to sell Previously, I bootless to accomplish this acreage aftermath as abundant as it could, but now, because I'm able-bodied equipped, I'm agriculture all of my hectares. When I was application accepted maize, I was accident too abundant money because I had to buy chemicals to ascendancy insects like the blah borer. And, sometimes, if I went to the boutique to buy the pesticide, they didn't accept it My ancestors is able-bodied fed now, and we abide at a college accepted because of Bt maize My accouchement are now accepting a acceptable education. … Even my livestock is active at a college accepted because I use this maize to augment them. "The new affectionate of maize is important to me because I can abound abundant to augment my ancestors and aswell accept some surplus extra to sell," says Sithole, who, in 2000, farmed 25 acreage (10 hectares) of acreage and today farms 37.5 acreage (15 hectares). "Previously, I bootless to accomplish this acreage aftermath as abundant as it could, but now, because I'm able-bodied equipped, I'm agriculture all of my hectares."

In 2007, about 57 percent of the absolute maize acreage in South Africa was buried to genetically adapted maize. Including maize, soybeans and cotton, South African farmers grew added than 4 actor acreage (1.8 actor hectares) of genetically adapted crops in 2007 - about 30 percent added acreage than in 2006.

The acceptance of genetically adapted crops in South Africa has been accelerating and abiding over the endure decade due to cogent on-farm bread-and-butter benefits. A 2008 abstraction by Brookes and Barfoot estimates that South African farmers accept added their acreage assets by application genetically adapted crops by US$156 actor in the aeon 1998 to 2006.

"When I was application accepted maize, I was accident too abundant money because I had to buy chemicals to ascendancy insects like the blah borer. And, sometimes, if I went to the boutique to buy the pesticide, they didn't accept it," continues Sithole. "Now, application the Bt maize, I'm accepting added crop and spending beneath money compared to accepted maize.

"My ancestors is able-bodied fed now, and we abide at a college accepted because of Bt maize," continues Sithole, husband, ancestor of seven and grandfathering of seven. "My accouchement are now accepting a acceptable education. … Even my livestock is active at a college accepted because I use this maize to augment them."

This new video about genetically adapted maize in South Africa can be viewed, downloaded or anchored into addition Web website from the Conversations about Plant Biotechnology Web site. In addition, visitors to the Web website can appearance videos with added South African farmers talking about the benefits of abiogenetic engineering of crops, and videos with experts about the charge for GM technology in developing countries to account affluence farming.

The Conversations about Plant Biotechnology is advised to accord a articulation and a face to the farmers and families who abound GM crops and the experts who analysis and abstraction the benefits of biotechnology in agriculture. The Web website contains added than 70 two- to three-minute, candid, aboveboard and acute video segments with the humans who apperceive the technology best. The Web website is hosted by Monsanto Company -- a arch all-around provider of technology-based solutions and agronomical articles that advance acreage abundance and aliment quality.

Contact:
Ranjana Smetacek
314-694-2642
ranjana.smetacek @ monsanto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment